Last Updated on
Before forming an LLC in Ohio, a unique business name has to
Besides registering business entities and corporations in the state, the Business Services Division of the Ohio Secretary of State also maintains
- Limited Liability Companies
- Limited Companies
- Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Partnerships
- Foreign Entities
With the online registered business entity search tool facilitated by the Secretary of State of Ohio, you can search for available LLC names. This is an important step before trying to start a new LLC as each LLC in the state must have a unique name.
Here is a step-by-step detailed guide to show to find available LLC names in Ohio.
Step 1. Visit the Ohio Secretary of State’s website to go to the Search Page for registered business entities in Ohio. The page looks similar to the screenshot below:
Be sure to select “Active” when searching for a name.
Step 2. Enter the name of the LLC you want to search for in the “Business Name” field. In this example, we will search for “Midw
The name in this example is already being used by another business, so it is not available for anyone else to register. Looking at the results of a name search, information about the entity can be found such as:
- Entity Number
- Entity Type (Corporation, Limited Liability Company, etc)
- Original Filing Date
- Business Name
- Status (Active means Good Standing, Dead means the business may be closed)
- Ohio Registered Agent Information
- Incorporator Information (Board of Directors, Members, etc.)
- Filings such as Articles of Organization (Limited Liability Company), Articles or Incorporation (Corporation) can
If the result comes back “No data available in table” the LLC name you are searching may be available.
Secretary of State Contact Information
180 East Broad Street, 16th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215