Last Updated on

Before forming a Limited Liability Company (LLC) in Pennsylvania, a Registered Agent has to be identified.  Learn what a Registered Office is and the requirements.

What is a Registered Office?

A Registered Office is a physical address in Pennsylvania where important legal documents are accepted.  In essence, the Registered Office is the mailbox for the entity.

This can be your home address, the address of an accountant or attorney, the address of the business, or a registered agent service. Basically, any physical address in the state may be used with the exception of PO Boxes and mail drop services are not acceptable, since someone has to be available to sign and accept documents. 

What are the Requirements of the Registered Office?

The requirements of the Registered Office are found in Pennsylvania 15 PA Cons Stat § 8825,  These say LLCs will have and continuously maintain a Registered Office within the state.  Someone (usually referred to as a Registered Agent) must be available during normal business hours to accept any service of process, notice or demand pertaining to the entity and forward it to the appropriate individuals.  

This address is necessary because it ensures that the correct people within an LLC are notified in the event of time-sensitive events such as service of process for lawsuits, garnishment notices against employees, notice of annual reports or notifications of taxes.

How much does a Registered Office cost?

The cost for registered agent services vary, but companies like ZenBusiness include it in their low-cost LLC formation packages. In addition to performing the state requirements, they also include limited mail forwarding, alerts when documents are received and notifications when reports, like the annual report are due with the state.

How is a Registered Office Selected?

A registered office is initially appointed when forming the LLC and is appointed in the Articles of Organization

Can I change my Registered Office?

A Registered Office can be changed by filing the Change of Registered Office Form with the Department of State.