I plan on running a communications business from my home solely online.

Would that require a business license from my municipality?

Additionally, should I apply for my EIN before or after I form my LLC?


If your business is solely online, and there are no customers visiting your home, then I don’t see a need for a business license.

You apply for your EIN after your form your LLC. The EIN is a unique number assigned to each LLC (and corporation, limited partnership, etc.)

If you haven’t formed your limited liability company yet, then there is nothing to assign the EIN to!

There are also free EIN application instructions on this website, but again, this is to be done after you form your LLC.

Back To LLC Questions & Answers